Welcome

We are so excited to be serving in Malawi. We invite you to take this journey with us. Keep the beautiful people of Malawi in your prayers, and us too.

Friday, August 19, 2011

dependant on Him to show up

As you know Luke is meeting with a lot of different church leaders to discuss sports youth ministry and if they would like to start a soccer outreach with their youth. Luke was visiting one of these churches last Sunday the 14th. He was planning on attending the service and then after the worship sit down with the leaders. When Luke arrived at the church building he was met by the pastor, who asked if Luke would preach (the service started in 20 min). This is what Luke wrote about that day in his journal.

I was a little surprised and asked God to lead me if I should preach or not. Within 30 seconds of silence, the Lord clearly reminded me of a sermon that I heard from a friend last month here in Malawi. It was really incredible how the Lord enabled my mind to clear as I agree to preach and then quickly went over a few notes from the sermon that I just ‘so happened’ to have in my backpack with me. They prayed over me and then we went out to worship in song for about 2 ½ hours with the church before they asked me to share from the Word.

I opened up with a little introduction in Chichewa (which was really encouraging and a huge praise that I am picking up the language faster than I thought I would). Then, I shared my testimony for about 20 minutes and went on to open up the sermon by asking the question, “Does our obedience to God automatically equate to His blessing in our lives?” and “What is blessing in the Bible?” Fostance was translating for me. I went on to preach for 45 minutes from Gen. 39:1-20, Psalm 73:1-14, and shared from the stories of Daniel, David (running from Saul), Jesus, Stephen, Paul, and the early church leaders. God was speaking through me. I can honestly take no credit for what happened yesterday because He enabled me, by His Spirit, to preach really powerfully. I can’t remember everything that was said but the time flew by and all the people were just eating it up! I closed by saying something along the lines of, “I want to encourage you as my brothers and sisters in Christ to look at the big picture of God’s blessing (eternity). This life is just a breath compared with all of eternity. So in light of that fact we can be encouraged in our current situations of suffering and poverty that there is a better day coming. Remember all of Christ’s disciples and how they suffered? Even many people today who are being obedient to the Gospel are suffering not being “blessed” by our definition of earthly things. I want to encourage you to seek God’s face and may our eyes not see to short like Esau when he sold his birthright to Jacob because he wanted to fill his temporary desires (hunger). I promise you that you will not regret seeking the King and enduring hardships in this life because the blessing in eternity is worth it! Jesus is all we need! We don’t need to consult witch doctors for blessing us with good crops or helping our children! Jesus and His Holy Spirit inside you is enough! I believe that God wants to do incredible things in you and through you in this village. Our blessing as followers of Christ is in Him. And maybe we will never see that blessing in this life but I promise 10 billion years from now that you will be thankful that you served the King of Kings and Lord of Lords in this short life. Then I closed by reading Hebrews 13:8-21 and praying it over them. God’s Spirit was at work and it was probably the best day of ministry of my life. All praise be to God! He is faithful and He truly does give us words to say when we step out for Him and have to be dependant on Him to show up. Yesterday…He showed up. The people were deeply thankful and we talked for a long time after the service before I went home with Fostance.

Thank you to all who are praying for us. These are the answers to your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's amazing how God is using you and Luke! Way to make yourselves available for His spirit to move through you. Keep these stories coming!

    ReplyDelete