Welcome

We are so excited to be serving in Malawi. We invite you to take this journey with us. Keep the beautiful people of Malawi in your prayers, and us too.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sports Ministry Leadership Training—Day One

Luke and Fostance in the morning
Practical examples outside
The ladies learning how to coach netball

The day started with a bit of confusion as the youth center did not have tables or chairs set up.  But….we made it work and ended up sitting on mats and weights.  It was not comfortable for the first few hours but we just laughed it off and went on with the morning of training. 
            I can’t even begin to explain how incredible this day was!  Fostance and I taught for about 7 hours.  There were many discussion groups, problem solving games, brainstorming sessions, and questions.  
            It was really encouraging to see all 7 Blantyre area Africa Evangelical churches represented there.  There were a total of 24 leaders from the seven churches who came ready to learn at 7:30.  We began just a few minutes late but still were able to cover everything that we had planned for the day.  The youth had a lot of fun learning the biblical foundation for sports ministry, practical examples, and then a ton about discipleship and evangelism.  The Spirit of God was truly at work in the hearts of the young people in that room.  It was an incredible time and I felt so blessed to be a small part of what God was doing in the lives of these young people’s hearts.
            The highlight of the day was when we gathered for a time of prayer and conclusion at the end of the day. We opened with a praise song and then I asked if anyone wanted to share something that they’d learned from the day. One of the football leaders named Andrew stood up with joy in his face and said, “I now feel equipped with God’s Word to teach the youth of my football team about the importance of the Gospel and now I’m ready to disciple a few boys from my team that are young believers.”  God is great!  That statement from Andrew is why we are here.  We want to light the fire of the Gospel in people’s lives to go and make disciples in Malawi.  That is why we live.  We want to see people love Jesus more, preach the Gospel with more confidence, and make disciples who then go and make more disciples.  Pray for these leaders as they go and start strategically building their netball and football teams around the multiplication of disciples and the proclamation of the goodness of Christ. 

Love you all,
Luke

1 comment:

  1. Great! I'm glad to hear things are going so well! God is awesome, beyond our wildest dreams and furthest ambitions. I'll continue to pray for you guys. As you know, me and Joe just got back from Yosemite and we had a blast. God is really working in our lives.

    This last quarter was rough. A death in the family and failure after failure in school had me on the ropes. That and also I have undertaken a vow to remove all hints of sexual impurity from my life, and the added stress really had me on the ropes. I was trying my best, asking God for help, but nothing seemed to work out right. Fortunately I have God to lean on, and he taught me a valuable lesson. I was reading in Jeremiah about how he was rejected by everyone, that nobody listened to what he preached, that he was poor, hated, and imprisoned. But God considered him a huge success. What the world measures as success and what God measures as success are not always the same. God has taught me this last quarter in school that my projects might not always turn out well, that ill have teachers that will give up on me, writing me off as a failure. I will probably never be rich, famous, or be long remembered. But I don't follow what other people think, I don't follow what my teachers think. I follow GOD. So although nothing turned out as I wanted, I followed God, and he views this last quarter as a success. And that is what is most important to me.

    ReplyDelete