Welcome

We are so excited to be serving in Malawi. We invite you to take this journey with us. Keep the beautiful people of Malawi in your prayers, and us too.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Coach Peter used by the Father to free kids from slavery



Coach Peter after being trained in August
Who is Peter?
Hi my name is Peter Kachapila and I am a Sports Freinds Malawi volunteer coach/ trainer.  I was born and raised in Blantyre, Malawi.  By the grace of God, I am the 3rd generation of men in our family who love and serve Christ.

What is your passion and ministry focus?
My passion is revival in this land!  I believe that the Lord wants to bring the book of Acts alive in Malawi for His glory.   I am always involved in youth ministry and now I am leading the sports ministry from my local church. The kids I reach out to through sports ministry are the street kids of Blantyre.  They really need to see the love of God lived out before them and I bring it to them through soccer.  For now, my target group is the youth and young adults who roam the streets of Blantyre. I want to see this next generation burning for Jesus as they realize who they are in Christ and how much Jesus wants to use them.




What has happened in the past few months in your ministry to the street kids?
A lot of things have happened in the past three months.  Me and my church have been working on a case where there was a man who was abusing the street kids sexually. This man told the kids that he will give them a good place to stay if they work for him.  Little did they know that he would rape them on a continual basis and force them to go to the streets every day and beg to get money to give to him at the end of each day.    I learned about this because I am coaching three of these street kids and I know them by name, just like our Lord cares for them and knows them by name.  

When I first heard of this terrible thing that was happening to a few of my boys, I went down to the place where the house was and wanted to secretively investigate the situation.  The man abruptly greeted me and made sure I stayed far away from the home.  Then, I pretended I was lost and asked him to give me directions.  All the while, I was making mental notes about the location of the house and what I saw.  It was a shack down next to the dirty river near to the main city market.  No one else lived near by.  I was appalled at what I saw and knew that the boys from my team were not lying to me.
The three boys
So, I ran straight to the police to report what is happening just a couple hundred yards away from their police station.  They did nothing.  I was so frustrated but the Lord continued to put the situation on my heart to pray and be an agent of justice in this awful situation.  I love my boys so I will not stand for them being abused day after day.  The Gospel in me won’t allow it!

But, after I kept going back to the police many times, they finally listened to us and went to see what was happening.  They were shocked and immediately arrested the man who was keeping my boys as his sex and money slaves.  All three kids that he was keeping have been rescued and my church has found homes for them to stay in.  The Body of Christ taking care of the fatherless and people who are without a voice.  Hallelujah!  Since this man’s arrest, he has attempted to pay bail but has been rejected exit from jail because in the investigation of his house, the police found some bones there.  And it has been confirmed that this man killed another boy who was one of his slaves.  Now, this guy is gonna be locked up for many years.  Despite the atrocities this lost man has done, my church hopes to visit him in jail to share the Gospel with him.  Glory be to God!  He can save anyone.

Bringing the Word through sports ministry
How can other Jesus followers be praying?
First of all, can you please praise God for this and join hands with us as the Body of Christ wherever we are by worshipping the King for his justice.  We bring glory to God by being unified in the Church so let’s worship Him through our unified prayer on behalf of these kids.

Secondly, can you please pray daily for my 3 boys who have suffered so much at the hands of this wicked man?  They are damaged, abused, and in need of a Savior.  Two of them are HIV positive, most likely because of the abuse they suffered at the hands of this man.   Please mobilize your church, bible study group and individuals to pray for the street kids of Blantyre.  Pray for their salvation.  Pray for their transformation and healing.  Pray for the believers who are working with them (I’m not the only one).  Working with such a vulnerable group, our lives are literally on the line every day.  There is a lot of money to be made through these poor kids by evil people who use them.  But we as the church are trying to free these kids from this slavery and bring them in, one by one into the kingdom of light.  Pray for Holy Spirit boldness and power in our daily ministry.
recently being trained at the Sports Friends Training of Trainers from October 26-30

No comments:

Post a Comment